Monday, January 18, 2021

Trees

Several years ago I made a New Year’s Resolution not to make any resolutions. They are difficult to keep much past the first week, let alone the first month. Well, for me anyway. Yes, I know it has to do with making them attainable, incremental, and not to punish yourself for slipping up. As my Weight Watchers leader would say quite frequently, “You don’t total the car for simply denting the fender.” 

Instead, I simply try to live better. With the emphasis on try. That includes nutrition, exercise, weight management, etc. All the big ones. I don’t smoke and rarely have alcohol, so those don’t count.


And I’ve added a new one, being mindful or being present.


As I’ve said before, I have hypertension and that can complicate things with Covid-19 and other health related issues. So, I try to keep myself as grounded and centered as I can to avoid raising my blood pressure. It’s not easy these days.


I think I’ve posted before that on my morning walks, I listen to my favorite music and focus on the lyrics. I have a mental sing-along in my head. I’d hate to scare any other walkers with my singing voice as the only way I can carry a tune is by transporting sheet music. Lately, I’ve discovered audiobooks, but being a visual person, I still prefer to read a book before I listen to it. So, I listen to some old favorites. I just completed a
Harry Potter marathon, books 3-7. I haven’t downloaded the first two yet.

But, one thing I have also noticed lately, is that I’ve been focusing more on the trees in my neighborhood as they seem to be calling out to me. I wondered what they could be saying. Besides, it keeps my attention on them instead of the troubling thoughts galloping around in my head.


I find myself entranced by the simple elegance of a naked tree. We get to see that part of the tree we take for granted; the branches. We forget they’re there when the tree is in leaf. Now, we can see the network of branches within the canopy, months before invisible to our eyes.


The shedding of the leaves also reminds me of the invisible support we all have. Just as the branches support the leaves of the tree, we have a support system we sometimes take for granted. For some, it is their network of family and friends. For others, it consists of their higher power, their intuition, the Universe/Spirit/God plus their network of family and friends.


To see a tree standing there in all its uncovered beauty is to see a miracle of nature. We don’t get to see what the tree is truly doing deep inside. It has shed what it no longer needs in order to prepare for the new.


Can we do that? Often we purge what we don’t need in the material sense, yet turn around and acquire more. But, can we purge ourselves of the memories we no longer need? Can we rid ourselves of the triggers that set off those painful emotions? Can we control the thoughts that trespass in our heads creating scenarios that might not exist, therefore adding to our anxiety and/or depression?


Then I turn around and see the evergreens; the pines, the cypress, the ficus and assorted palms so prominent here in my neighborhood. They stand tall, often above the rest. Proudly grounded, deeply rooted in the earth, yet swaying in the breeze, their greenness helping them stand out against the blue sky and their naked cousins.

On today’s walk, what truly struck me was the juxtaposition of the deciduous with the evergreens. One so vulnerable and exposed, shedding the old to prepare for the new and the other deeply grounded in remaining true to its nature.


That has become my newest quasi-resolution:


I will try my best to shed what no longer serves me, to prepare for the new while remaining true to my nature. And standing tall.


All thanks to the trees.


I guess they were talking to me.


It seems I was listening.


All photos courtesy of Jeff Ballam.

6 comments:

  1. I've always loved trees. Thankfully I've been present enough to hear them speak. They've literally saved my life on 3 occasions. Very moving piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and your comment. I believe we can all learn from Nature whether plant or animal. I'm glad they've been there for you. Someone recommended the book, "The Hidden Life of Trees." Perhaps it might interest you, too. I have yet to read it but look forward to it soon. Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Nature has a way of restoring good thoughts, positivity, and happiness. Seldom can people give this feeling to others. When are you getting a dog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but seldom do people take the time to listen to nature. Having a dog is a big responsibility which I do not want.

      Delete
  3. I love trees. I live in a wooded area and my dog and I walk around a pond everyday, and when I am in the section of the trail that is covered by tree branches, I somehow feel protected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful sentiment! I'm sure the trees are offering some protection! Thank you for reading and leaving a comment! Blessings to you!

      Delete