Monday, January 11, 2021

2021

The Grimalkin Tarot
(c) 2020, MJ Cullinane
Photo by Jeff Ballam
Continuing my newest tradition of drawing a New Year’s Reading giving me a glimpse into the year dawning on me, I sat down on January 1 to pull some cards. For this reading, I decided to use one of my newest decks, The Grimalkin Tarot by MJ Cullinane. 

(For information on this and other decks by MJ Cullinane, click on the link below.)


Glancing initially, I see only four major cards out of thirteen total, suggesting this year will focus more on more minor energies, rather than a lot of deeper lessons. I see only four reversed cards suggesting that most energies will be directed outward rather than internally. Six of the nine minors are Yang energy also suggesting more of an external, active, expressive year.


January brings me Temperance, a Major. To begin a year with a Major card suggests the year will start off with a bang, a bigger lesson. In the card, we see a cat walking on a narrow ledge with calm water on one side flowing over the ledge into a waterfall, while fish are swimming upstream. This would suggest I need to walk a narrow path between a calmer side and a more chaotic, turbulent side; keeping balance between two very different sides.


February brings the Knight of Swords, an energy of going forth with my own ideas, expressing my truths. We see a cat in mid-lunge, focused on his quarry, the crow. How will the horse react? This Knight can have a tendency to be too focused, a tad harsh in expressing his thoughts and ideas. I may need to watch myself as I express my thoughts and opinions, making sure not to cause an upset.


March’s card is the Ace of Swords. What opportunity is presented for me for me to expand my mind? What learning opportunity is presenting itself to me? What truths are presenting themselves to me? Will I send or receive a message of some kind? What stand must I take?


In April, I greet the Queen of Wands-an energy of going forth to pursue my passion, a new adventure or to seek to accomplish a goal close to my heart. She is also a team player, as long as you agree to play by the same rules. Will I be working with someone? 


May brings the Seven of Cups, where we see the cat dreaming of what it wants or needs. Dare I dream of something big or realize that what I see or feel is merely an illusion? Or am I to take this energy and expand my vision?


The King of Wands comes in June and adds an interesting element. The Queen and King of Wands are both about pursuing goals, passions, or adventures; yet, they come from differing points of view. Both are driven, both can be charming and use their charms to achieve their success. The Queen suggests a more emotional approach, suggesting a bit more passion in her approach and therefore, more drive. She is a woman seeking success in a man’s world, wanting to be taken seriously. The King brings the energy of a driven man, someone who sets his sights on what he wants or needs and strives to achieve it. His approach is more logical since men are more analytical. He thinks on his feet. As these two sandwich the Seven of Cups, perhaps the Queen sets the plan in motion in April, the dream becomes more realized or evident in May, and the King takes it further in June. 


July brings the first reversed card, the Emperor. This card’s energy is about order, discipline and structure. He keeps people on task. Yet, reversed this could indicate I am faltering a bit to complete the goals set by the Queen’s energy and need to be reminded of my need to keep on task, perhaps by developing some more structure.


The Page of Swords enters in August. Some new ideas are present and there is an eagerness to learn them. The Page may even encounter some problems from the Emperor Reversed in July and set out to correct them. 


The Nine of Pentacles Reversed appears in September. The first month I sense some negative energy, though not overtly so. The cat in the card sits comfortably in a garden, content in his surroundings. Perhaps this is the first month where some discomfort sets in. Will there be some financial discomfort in September?


October brings a special card for this deck only, the Grimalkin. This card brings the ancestral energy of women, the ancient healers. Grimalkin is an archaic term for a cat and cats were often seen as companions, or familiars, for women-especially women associated with the healing arts, later to be considered 'witchcraft.' Perhaps, I will need some healing. Or, will I perform some? Other energies here are solitude, letting go, walking my own path. I find this card's appearance quite intriguing as it also connects with the Hermit's energy. As I posted before, the Hermit is about introspection, walking one's own path, and is my soul card. We often think of a hermit as a man, usually elderly and an elderly, single woman as a crone.

The Cailleach Beure.  Public domain.


November and December both bring reversed cards. The Eight of Swords Reversed shows a cat trying to get past a waterfall. Cats are wary of water and this one seems determined to get past the water. What is holding it back? Its own thoughts, its own perceptions. Reversed, this card suggests letting go of my own thoughts that hold me back. I’m no longer restraining myself. Or the energy will be there for me to act upon it. The Three of Wands shows a cat looking off into the distance, wondering what is over yonder? Perhaps, it will be best to keep my focus on the present rather than the future, which being on the cusp of a new year is often the tradition of December; what will the new year hold? Nope, keep your focus closer to home. 


I add a thirteenth card for a theme. I try to use its energy throughout the year to boost the other cards. This year the card is Death. When I turned the card over, I was excited. This is not a literal card, yet metaphoric; archetypal.It’s about letting things die in one’s life, shedding the toxic. It can also be about transformation. I often think of a caterpillar when the Death card comes up. The caterpillar dissolves itself completely in order to transform into the butterfly. This will be a year of transformation for me, a lot of growth. Which is interesting. Numerologically, this is a year of 5. 2021=2 + 0+ 2 + 1=5. And 5 is the number associated with change. Change is simply change. Our reaction to it is what makes it positive or negative.


This year I will be looking at how I can release the toxic energies in each month as I work through the energies of that month's card. For example, what toxicities can I release to help me maintain the balance of Temperance? I find this card quite appropriate for January as we inaugurate a new president.


The energies are quite opposing this time. I have to find the balance within.


All in all, I like this reading.


It feels good.


4 comments:

  1. Hi, Jeff! Happy New Year. Vickie suggested recently on FB Tarot Fanatics that we take a look at our personal card for the year by adding our month of birth + day of birth + 2021. In my case, I am 11 + 28 + 2021, which is 8, the Strength card. What's yours? Cheers! Marsha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marsha!! Happy New Year! Mine is very interesting this year. My soul card is the Hermit as I posted and it also is my personal year card. So, this year I'm a double Hermit!! Cheers!!

      Delete
  2. Nice synchronicity, Jeff! This year should be interesting :) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete