Wednesday, December 4, 2019

November's Card


Nine of Wands
Rider-Waite-Smith Tarot
When I sat down to write my reflection on November’s card from my New Year's Reading, it dawned on me I already had written it in a way, sort of. Kinda.

My card for November was the Nine of Wands Reversed from the New Palladini Tarot.

When we look at the traditional card from the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, we see an injured young man, seemingly exhausted, leaning on a staff. He’s obviously looking off to one side. What’s going on over there that has caught his attention? Were his injuries sustained in some kind of battle? Is it still going on? Why does he have these other staffs with him? Did they belong to some of his fallen comrades? Curious minds want to know.

Nine of Rods (Wands)
New Palladini Tarot
Regardless of his injuries and exhaustion, he also appears to have the stamina to keep going, to fight on if he needs. Somehow, he’d muster the strength, courage and energy to do so like a good warrior. I like to think of this as a “don’t-mess-with-me-or-you-might-regret-it” card. 

But, in my reading, he’s reversed.

So, this changes things.

The reversal could suggest a full surrender, a giving up. Exhaustion has taken over. I’m done.

As I looked back at this card and the feeling of full surrender came over me, my previous post, The Doldrums, sprang to mind. 

In that post, I wrote that is seems like everything I've tried to motivate myself to find a direction in my social life and some increased economic opportunities did not pan out. So, I felt like throwing down the staff and just hibernating. After all, the first Spirit Guide I met was Bear, so hibernation would be quite fitting. Plus, winter is approaching and Bear People do tend to hibernate a bit in the winter.

Yet, that isn’t very healthy.

Or very fun.

But, something interesting occurred to me when I reviewed the card. Bear with me, it’s a stretch. Or a reach. But, whatever.

Upright, the figure is looking to the left. I view a reading as a snapshot of this current moment in time, of the Now. We often use a timeline to chronicle events from the past to the present. Traditionally, we place the events furthest in the past to the farthest left on the timeline and then proceed forward in time to the right. The events that injured the young man already occurred. They're in the past. I mean, he's already bandaged. 

My card turned up reversed, so now he’s looking to the right, into the future. So, maybe I feel like giving up now. But, as he’s looking to the right, into the future, I’m taking this as a sign to just keep plodding on as a new year is on the way. 

It’s like he’s saying, just wait. Don’t give up, even if you feel like it Right Now.

After all, the Hermit, (one of my favorite cards in the deck) is up next. But, he’s reversed, too.

What could that mean?

I guess I’ll find out.
The Hermit
New Palladini Tarot

No comments:

Post a Comment