Sunday, April 7, 2013

Awakening



When the idea for this post hit me, I wanted to wax poetic and title it “Lotus Blossom.”

But, I decided against it.

I have been finding inspiration through quotes and sayings, inspirational teachings and philosophies to try and maintain a positive attitude. And many of them hit home.
 “The mind is everything. What you think you become.” -Buddha
"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." -Christopher Robin
“If you live with depression, you live in the past. If you live with anxiety, you live in the future. If you live in peace, you live in the now.” -Unknown
Sometimes it's just hard to stay there.

And sometimes, motivation comes from the strangest sources.  Strange as in unexpected, not as in unusual, different, weird.

I decided to buy myself a piece of art from Hector Silva, an artist I follow on Facebook. After all, it’s my house and I can decorate how I want to. (Plus, I got a very nice tax refund!) Twice before this, I went to a showing he had but ended up either missing him or not realizing he was there, and leaving.

"Cinco de Mayo," Hector Silva
His art speaks to me because I find it simply moving and movingly simple. This is not to undermine his talent, for he is very talented. It is simple to me, in that he focuses directly on his message, there is not a lot of clutter, in his drawings; if there is something in the picture, it has a meaning, a reason for being there. He uses pencil, so most of his work is in black and white, or rather, shades of gray and white and I find more meaning in black and white film and photography. There is a very little color which serves as an accent and not as a distraction. From his website, I learned he is self-taught, and immigrated to the United States from Mexico when he was young. His art showcases Mexican and immigrant culture, and being gay, he also brings homoeroticism to some pieces and often combines both themes.
"Rudy and Frank," Hector Silva

Having decided on a piece, I contacted Hector, he suggested a matte and frame and when it was ready we made arrangements to meet so he could deliver the piece. We met in a Latino cultural center and bookstore near my house as he was delivering some artwork to the center. He handed me the piece, and it was even more moving in person. I had seen it in person before, in a showing in East L.A., but I think knowing this one was mine made it even more special.

We chatted a bit, mostly about his history, and some elements in other pieces I’d wondered about. He was very forthcoming, though prefaced his explanation with the fact that he prefers to let the viewer explain how he/she may interpret that particular piece. He did open up on a couple of pieces, sharing some personal history and how he got started drawing and his fascination with Lucille Ball! 

"First Communion", Hector Silva
During our chat, I realized we had some things in common. Neither of us set out in life to be artists. He never took an art class, that I know of, and discovered his talent late in life as an adult. I took a few writing classes, mostly for my college degrees, and have discovered, or better said, accepted, my talent for creative writing also as an adult. 

And that is where I began my awakening. There is a time and a place for everything. My time for writing is now, and I need to make more time to work on projects, promote my current one, and accept this talent I have. But, what has been holding me back? Hector puts some very personal elements from his life in his work as a catharsis.

If he can do it, so can I.

Like Hector, I have also been through some very difficult moments in life. Though none were as difficult as what he willingly shared, yet mine were still difficult for me. I thank him for sharing with me. I have been sharing my moments with my counselors, yet I seemingly can’t move beyond them. 

Maybe I just need to use them instead.

My piece by Hector (I tried to avoid the flash)

No comments:

Post a Comment