Sunday, August 12, 2012

The More I See...

Mufasa, at the park ~age 8


...of men the more I like dogs.  ~Madame de Staël 










Xena, always proper etiquette ~age 15

...and cats. ~Jeffrey Ballam









Not really. 

But, dating is difficult.

Or, maybe it's the new dating/chatting/texting protocol I'm not used to.

I was brought up to finish a conversation, to indicate it's over, to say goodbye. 

I have been chatting online with a few men. I will reply to their question, and wait...

and wait...

and wait...

for a reply.

Eventually I go to bed. 

I do understand extenuating circumstances come up. Okay, no big deal. But, why not acknowledge the last message as soon as it is convenient? I mean the trail of messages between us is there. It shows you were the last recipient, the ball is in your court. And most men go online at least every other day.

One man, who initiated a meeting with me, and then postponed when his temporary job was extended through the week, hasn't replied to my last message in three days.

Another man, whom I wanted to meet and he agreed to meet me, hasn't replied in over a week. With him, I get the hint.

Conversation is like a tennis match or a good volleyball game. It goes back and forth and back and forth. And my feeling is this, if I return the volley and you don't, you're out.

Unless, you have extenuating circumstances.

But, how much time do I wait before throwing the other conversant out saying, "You've missed your chance. Sorry. I waited________ for you to reply." A day? Two? A Week? I went through this when I was younger and dating, and I don't want to go through it again when I'm old(er) and dating.

My friends tell me I have too high expectations. Okay, maybe I do. But, the last time I dated we didn't even have cell phones and the internet was still being developed and only the same computers could talk to each other. Remember Apple Talk? It originally allowed only Apple users to interface with other Apple users. And now, I'm working on a Dell laptop and someone will read this on an Apple iPhone, a Samsung cell phone, or an Android tablet. So, maybe it's the technology I need to adapt to. And then adjust my attitude.

And trying to converse between the app, cell phone, texting, email....it's all so overwhelming....I'm so confused.

Maybe this is my lesson, adapt to the new world of technodating.

But, I'm still very much a romantic; I like the idea of a chance encounter; maybe at the supermarket...both of us shopping for fresh produce...electricity runs through us as our hands touch reaching for the same cucumber...our eyes meet...we stand there cucumbers in hand...discussing their versatility...whether we prefer them peeled or not...which dressings we like better; French, Greek...what are our favorite toppings...what he does for a living...Cher or Bette...dogs or cats or both...whether I'm free for a cup of coffee...

That reminds me, I need to go to the market tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. At least some internet guys could say, TTL! (talk to ya later). I wished a friend today happy 22d birthday. He reminded me he was 23 and had to start acting like a grown man. He's gay, and I said, "It's time you find a partner." He likes to party alot with college kids. I suggested perhaps he should hang out at the library and see who's hot there. One who enjoys peace, tranquility, and a good book! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good plan! He'll settle down when he feels the time is right. I'm beginning to feel the time is right for me to party up a little. lol

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. P.S. I love the picture of your kids. Who couldn't love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do not have too high expectations. It will happen, that chance meeting...when you least expect it. At the store, at the gas station, on the web, you will look up and your eyes will meet and you will know. Do not give up on the romance. When you least expect it, love will creep up on you. Take a deep breath, relax and relish the moment you are in. Its not about money or status or even looks...it happened once for you, and it will happen again. all you have to do is let go and believe......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not necessarily giving up on the romance. I'm finding that my instincts about the online stuff is, for me, it feels forced. Love is never forced. And it will happen in time, at the moment the Universe deems right.

      Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  4. oh...and thanks for choosing a career teaching our children. one of the most honorable there is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support! It is appreciated!

      Delete