Friday, January 11, 2019

A Look Ahead

Here we are in another new year. 

Whoopee
A new year means new beginnings, new ideas, new things to try.

So, I tried something new.

On January 1, I sat down with my preferred Tarot deck-the New Palladini-and grounded myself. I shuffled the deck, cut it, and laid out twelve cards, one for each month, in a clock pattern, with the card for January in the 1 o’clock position and continued all the way to December at 12 o’clock. I turned the deck over for the shadow card, the one underneath everything else. It would represent the overall theme for the year. I placed the deck in the center where the hands on an analog clock would be.

I did a quick overview to get a general feel for the spread and potential year ahead. I know that one card to represent 28-31 days is a lot to ask of a piece of paper, and other factors can still come up during the month, but as a general long term lesson for the month, I feel it's not too much. Or perhaps I can look at it as an area for me to work on. As a goal, not a prediction.

Many tarot readers and the public at large perceive certain cards as inherently positive or negative. And the imagery in a card can certainly lend to that perception; yet every card has both a light and shadow side, for one cannot exist without the other. In my quick overview, admittedly I was relieved to see only two cards that are generally perceived as negative or unfavorable; the Two and Eight of Swords which aren’t even that bad. And even one of those, the 8, was reversed, suggesting I look at its light side! So, my initial assessment was I was in for a potentially good year.

What also struck me as intriguing was that the cards seemed to come up in themes. The first half of the year appeared to be smooth sailing or learning with some challenges coming up in the second half. That doesn’t mean something won’t come up in the first half, but overall nothing terribly heavy. And I'm keeping in mind this is a map of my year, or suggested areas of growth, not a prediction.

Judgment, the 8 of Swords Reversed, and the Hanged Man together suggest that from January through March, I will be facing judgments either from others or, more likely from myself. With those Judgments in mind I should, or will be, freeing myself from those judgments or restraints of the 8 of Swords Reversed, and continue to let go of them, surrendering to the what is via the Hanged Man. With Judgment and the Hanged Man both being Major Arcana cards, that will be one heavy quarter. But, in a good way. Lots of continued personal growth. 

The next quarter looks the most interesting. Material, prosperity and emotion are the themes here. April and May have the 10 and King of Pentacles respectively, with June carrying the 9 of Cups. Some readers see the 10 of Pentacles as a happiness card as it typically depicts a family, often multiple generations. In this deck, it shows a couple staring off into the distance at a castle. The King of Pentacles represents a faithful provider, possible abundance, and is generous with what he’s accumulated. The 9 of Cups suggests satisfaction, gratitude and wishes coming true. So, lots of happiness, abundance, prosperity and satisfaction. Sounds good. Bring it!

Summer is where we get the first signs of uh-oh. The 7 of Rods in July suggests challenges, standing my ground. I may have to get defensive over some decisions I’ll be making. August brings the Knight of Cups Reversed followed by the 2 of Swords in September. Some emotional confusion, or withdrawal, maybe due to something I’m not seeing or possibly resisting. 

The last quarter was the most challenging for me to interpret as all three cards came up reversed, which isn’t always a bad thing. 

October has the 4 of Pentacles Reversed which could suggest a loosening of control over material goods or money. Will I continue purging things I no longer need or begin overspending? Or following the emotional issues in August/September, will I become overprotective? The 9 of Rods Reversed in November might suggest I could be wondering about how much more I can go on. Do I have the stamina? While the Hermit Reversed in December could suggest less introspection, less time on my own and getting more “out there” or further introspection, possible isolation. Yet, for some reason that doesn’t resonate. Maybe by December I will have faced all my judgments and put everything to rest. After all, if this shows what could happen as a possible outcome, I still have free will to make my own choices or changes. 

The theme, or shadow, card was the Page of Rods. In general, the pages can represent learning opportunities, and this page suggests being more creative, passionate, taking action. So, this will be a year of creativity, following my passions and taking more action. 

I’m still getting used to using different spreads and seeing how accurate people tell me my readings for them are. 

So, it will be interesting to see how well this plays out.

Stay tuned. 


No comments:

Post a Comment