Monday, December 31, 2018

Resolutions and Reflections

As I sit here in the early morning hours of December 31, at 4:30 a.m. to be exact, wondering why, once again, I cannot sleep as I've been awake since 2:30ish, I find myself looking back on this year.

And in contemplation of the next one.

Which brings up the traditional idea of New Year's Resolutions.

Surprise! I don't make any.

I stopped making them when I realized I never kept them. Not keeping them eroded my self-esteem, because I berated myself for failing. So, one year I resolved never to make any again. Does that mean I don't seek to improve myself in the coming year? No. I will make an effort to continue to improve myself, to walk down a healthier path, be it better eating, better attempts at exercise, etc. All I attempt to do is to be better. Which I think is easier than resolving to eliminate a bad habit.

2018 was the first full calendar year since my retirement. It's been interesting. I wanted to read more, I didn't. I wanted to write more, I sort of did. I wanted to exercise more, I didn't. I wanted to decompress from thirty-four-and-a-half years of teaching, I think I'm there. And maybe that was what I needed 2018 to be.

But, now it might be time to find a direction, something to do, to occupy my time, as well as my mind, as well as add to my wallet.

I am also reflecting back on 2018 as it has been an interesting year, both personally and politically. I'm not here to discuss the latter only the former.

This was the year I contemplated a roommate and had one actually which turned into a disaster. But, that was more based on the individual than the situation. No, not all roommates would be that difficult. But, I learned how challenging it would be to live with someone after eight years alone.

This was the year I began purging my house of anything I no longer needed, used or had seen within a year. So, I'm learning to downsize. 

This was the year I discovered the Tarot. I've discovered my readings are somewhat accurate which has been something new to wrap my head around. I'm trying not to be overly-analytical and wonder why they are so accurate, but simply accepting that they are. Letting go of this analytical stuff is hard for an Aquarian with a heavy dose of Libra in his astrological chart. Both signs are a bit guilty of overthinking and having the double dose is like being stuck in a mental maze with only a narrow escape route. So, I am learning I can stop overthinking.

This was the year I opened up to my intuition. Where this path will take me, who knows? I'll just be open to what it may bring. What else can I do? Maybe the cards will say. So, I am learning to trust myself.


This was the year I found more of my spiritual tribe. I've found people who understand where I am coming from and can sympathize, or even empathize, with me. These are people who encourage me along this path as they are walking some part of it, too. So, I am learning to socialize.

This was the year I reconnected with someone who has and will continue to play an important part in my life, but to what end, I can only speculate. I will confess, I've looked into the cards regarding this relationship, and they indicate it's promising, but that time will be a factor. Meaning, this will need some time to fully bloom due to where both of us are coming from. So, I am learning to trust someone else and open my heart, bit by bit.

As I look into the beginnings of 2019, which numerologically, is a Universal Year of 3. (To find the Universal Year, we add the digits to one single digit; 2+0+1+9=12, 1+2=3.) Three is the number of the trinity, of creation and therefore creativity. With creativity comes communication, as artists use their creativity to communicate their truths. This is a year for all of us to communicate our truth, once we find it.

As I look into a new year where I resolve to not make resolutions, I recall this t-shirt I bought a while ago. I think this sums up what I want to practice in 2019 and beyond:


Oh, yes, and I want to read more, write more and photograph more. 

6 comments:

  1. I hope you have a healthy and happy 2019. I don't believe in resolutions either. I am just a believer in trying to be better as we are all imperfect souls. As my retirement from teaching draws closer, I begin to get nervous about leaving something behind that I've known for well over three decades. I am worried about the financial part of it too, since my ex-wife is getting 1/2 of my pension. But I am a survivor and I look forward to seeing what's out there! Best wishes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, I hope you have a happy and healthy 2019 as well. I was nervous about retiring but also felt it was something I needed to do for my own sanity. I believe also in "Leap and the net will appear!" Have faith, and try not to worry about it. Yes, you are a survivor. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Jeff, thanks for your words of encouragement concerning retirement. It is scary as hell to me, but it is something that is overdue. As I am sitting on the sofa dreading going back to school tomorrow, I realize that it is time. I never dreaded school before, now I do...so it is indeed time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome, Michael. I believe that once we accept it is time, we feel better about our decision, whatever it is. It will still be scary, but getting over that fear and accepting our decision is the first step. It does get better.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jeff,
    I love how you seek to remain open to what appears in your life, as you also travel your path with an open heart.... Wishing you a peaceful and enchanting New Year. Be well and happy. Blessings, Evie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evie,
      Thank you. I also admire your openness and peaceful approach to life as well. I also wish you a New Year full of peace and blessings.
      Namaste, Jeff

      Delete