Sunday, October 4, 2020

Three Cheers for September

Rider Waite Smith Tarot

As we enter October, it's time to review last month's card which was the happy times of the Three of Cups.

And I must say I was a bit disappointed. But first, let’s look at the card.

Bianco Nero Tarot, Marco Proietto
(c)2018 US Games
The energy centers around three young women dressed in fine robes. In my head, they’re made of silk. But, I digress. The three are each raising a cup as in a toast or celebration. What those cups are filled with is anyone’s guess, but symbolically the suit of Cups is associated with water and our emotions, feelings, intuition and connections to others, i.e., relationships. Traditionally, this card is read as a celebration with friends, networking on a social level, gatherings, parties, friendships and happy times. 

Coming after the high energy of August's Queen of Wands, I was hoping for a continuation of that feeling and connecting or socializing more. But, if that didn’t happen, it isn’t the card’s fault. It’s mine. While my mood has been lighter lately, I certainly wouldn’t call it celebratory.

But, even with Covid restrictions in place here in Los Angeles, I did mingle more than I had been doing in the recent past. Just maybe not enough as I had hoped.

I returned to a group I felt I needed a hiatus from. It was nice seeing some friendly faces once again.


One of the hidden
staircases in Los Angeles

I stepped out for a self-guided themed walk with two other friends on a lovely early autumn day. The theme of this walk was hidden staircases in Los Angeles. Many of these hidden staircases were built when Los Angeles was connected more by streetcar and public transportation than miles of interstates and highways. These public staircases were necessary to help pedestrians get to and from their homes and the streetcar lines and were built as shortcuts from one level of a neighborhood to another in the hillier areas of the city. Often these staircases were built by the Public Works Administration in the 1930s and 40s. An additional aspect of this particular walk was a two block area of historic Victorian and Craftsman homes. One of the Victorians was even featured in a television show.

So, maybe the energy to do more was there in the cards, but maybe my energy was what was lacking. Or maybe it was just enough. It takes time to emerge from a cocoon during a transformation. Especially when one isn’t quite sure the transformation isn’t quite complete.

And yes, these last few years have felt like a transformation-stepping out of an old persona into a new one, shedding an outdated belief system for a different one. The images of a phoenix rising from the flames, a snake shedding its old skin or a caterpillar metamorphosing into a butterfly all come to mind.

Embarking on, or awakening to, a more spiritual path from a rather ordinary, regular one is not easy. I try to let go and let the Universe guide me. And trust in its guidance. I try very hard not to be judgmental of those with differing views, whether spiritual, religious, secular or political. These days, that last one is truly trying my patience, compassion and understanding.

My family life taught me to keep my mouth shut as my opinion was not respected as I was a bit more liberal than my parents. Perhaps, even then I was more concerned with humanity and the greater good for all than most people my age. Even now, I find it hard to speak up, even with an effort to simply explain my point of view and not persuade anyone to abandon their beliefs. I can only hope to enlighten them.

This brings the Serenity Prayer to mind with a few of my own realizations added:

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
(the opinions, beliefs and attitudes of others)
the courage to change the things I can
(only my own opinions, beliefs and attitudes)
and the wisdom to know the difference.
(and the strength to hold back.)

Maybe that's why I've remained withdrawn a bit lately, even with some baby steps forward.

On to October, and the often difficult Queen of Swords.

And she's reversed. This could be interesting.

Bianco Nero Tarot. Marco Proietto
(c)2018, US Games, Inc.


A gorgeous Victorian

This Victorian was featured in
"Charmed"
1998-2006

2 comments:

  1. Wow! The three of cups are you and your hiking friends ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that occurred to me too, but after I published! ;)
      Thank you for reading and leaving a comment!

      Delete