Thursday, August 13, 2020

July's Card-More Reversed Swords

Radiant Tarot
Okay, it's a new month which means it’s time to check in with my New Year Reading. July’s card was the Seven of Swords Reversed.

Looking at the card in its upright position, we see a figure tiptoeing away, carrying five of seven swords. A number of questions come to mind.

Why is the figure tiptoeing away and looking over his shoulder?
Why does he seem to be smirking?
Why is he taking the swords? And only five of them?
What is going on in the background?

The combination of the tiptoeing, the smirking and looking over his shoulder all suggest he doesn’t want to be seen or heard and therefore, caught. In other words, he’s being sneaky. Even deceptive, avoidant or dishonest.

Some readers have suggested that the background action is a battle of some sort and this figure is taking the swords to disarm the combatants. Yet, if  the suit of Swords as a whole represents the mind and all the activity associated with it, then this would be a battle of wits. How does one disarm a battle of wits? I mean you can’t take away someone’s thoughts, you can only attempt to prove their reasoning to be incorrect or illogical and they then have to accept their faulty thinking process. In this day and age of who-knows-who-or-what-to-believe, it is becoming harder to reason with just about anyone. Emotions, passions and ideologies are overflowing.


I’ve also heard this card read as someone leaving a situation. Yet, to me that suggests an emotional connection as we tend to leave a situation out of an emotional reaction; e.g. fear, anger, or hurt. But if Swords is about the mind, I find it hard to make the connection that someone is leaving due to an emotional reaction. Yet, it could suggest that the evidence pointing to someone leaving the situation is faulty evidence causing some overthinking somewhere, either the person potentially leaving or the person being left behind is overthinking. This is a bit of a stretch for me. I also don’t read this as someone leaving as he is carrying swords which represent thoughts and ideas. So, this card definitely gives me the feeling of something being taken in an underhanded way. Deception is the first thing that usually comes to mind for me.

Bianco Nero Tarot
by Marco Proietto
But, I didn't use the 'traditional' deck in my reading back in January. I used the Bianco Nero Tarot by Marco Proietto. This deck definitely has a different 'feel' to it and this card definitely 'feels' darker. There is no smirk on his face and he's hidden by a hood and cloak. He's still in the process of taking the swords as he's reaching for one. With his gloved hands, he seems more prepared to deal with sharp swords compared to the figure in the card above. This card suggests he was planning this heist.

I believe this card can be read from two perspectives. The figure in both cards is definitely acting underhandedly. So, I could read the card as I am either the perpetrator or the victim. And if I am the perpetrator, I might not even be aware of anything I might be taking from someone. 

But, I can’t think of anyone I might be deceiving as I try to be honest with everyone.

With this card being reversed, it would suggest the opposite of the traditional meaning which would suggest no one is being dishonest or deceiving me. Maybe that’s the message. Whatever thoughts I might have that someone is being dishonest are faulty.

It could even mean I'm deceiving myself about something or someone.

This month has revealed a few other surprises.

I tend to pay more attention to people’s actions rather than their words. After all, actions speak much louder.

The actions of a few friends have suddenly screamed out their true nature.

So, maybe that’s it. Any 'deception' would be revealed.

While I can’t say these friends were being dishonest, maybe this truer nature of their character was being held back and now has been brought into light.

And now that they've revealed themselves, it’s up to me to tiptoe away.

Or not.

On to August's card, the high energy of the Queen of Wands. After four months of reversed cards, I'm ready for some upright energy, even hers.
Rider Waite Smith Tarot



I just hope I'm prepared for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment