Sunday, February 16, 2020

Resilience

I went for a walk the the other day in one of my regular places. I needed to get out of the house as I was both bored and feeling a bit anxious. Plus, the exercise wouldn’t hurt either. 

I like walking in this park because it has some hiking trails in the foothills not far from my house. Even though it also has some nice manicured areas with some picnic tables, I do feel I connect to nature here, whether it’s manicured or left on its own.

I don’t have music playing while I walk in any of the parks I visit as I like to listen to the birds chattering away and hear the wind in the trees. Plus, if I have music playing, I might miss the buzzing of the bees or the warning of a Southern Pacific rattlesnake. I have encountered a few of the residents along my walks; house sparrows, California quail, ground squirrels, black Phoebes, a bush rabbit, mule deer and scrub jays. So far, a Western Fence lizard is the only reptile I’ve encountered. 

On one occasion, a coyote ran across the main lawn area, stopped suddenly and, well, left some natural fertilizer on the grass, giving me a rare glimpse into its life. Lucky me. 

After the fire, Oct, 2019
In October 2019, the Saddleridge fire destroyed much of the  natural areas of the park, leaving it closed for a period of time. I’ve visited the park a handful of  times since it reopened and this last time I was struck by Mother Nature’s resilience.
My first visit after the fire

The park is coming back to life, however slowly.

We can learn so much from Mother Nature.

She bounces back after every disaster; wildfire, hurricane, tornado, earthquake or tsunami. In some cases, the disasters are what is needed to keep her in balance. 

We are just as resilient, if we believe ourselves to be.

I’ve been a bit down and/or anxious lately, not sure why. Perhaps it’s the current political and social climate in the US. Perhaps it’s sensing a change in direction in my life, a direction I never anticipated. Or maybe it’s the approaching super full moon in Leo.

The reason why isn’t important, but what is important is recognizing my own resilience and surging forward.

However long it may take.

New growth in a burned tree
Feb. 2020
Feb. 2020





Feb. 2020
Feb, 2020
Feb. 2020
Photos courtesy of Jeffrey Ballam

No comments:

Post a Comment