Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Swan

Recently, I stated that I feel I’ve been repeating some topics. I mean after writing this blog for a number of years, that’s bound to happen, right? Especially, since life is simultaneously linear and spiral. 

I mean, life moves forward in time-birthdays are prime evidence of that, that’s linear. Life’s lessons often come back around to us as we move forward in time, especially if we didn't learn them the first time, and then we can take the lessons deeper when we are ready to. In teacher talk, we call this a "spiraling curriculum."

For example, we might learn about money when our parents give us an allowance, and we learn that it can bring instant gratification. "I can buy what I want to be happy, now." Through life we continue to learn the ups and downs of money. We might first run into credit issues in our early twenties or thirties. Anyway, I’m rambling from my intended post...

I’ve decided to maybe switch up some of the topics I’ve been writing about.

Also, it’s no secret I believe in synchronicities. And that they happen for a reason.

In my recent post Oracles, I talked about some decks of cards I often use to help me move forward when I get stuck on something. 

I went to one of the decks-okay, the app on my phone, Stephen Farmer’s Power Animal Oracle Cards-for some motivation. I scrolled through the face-down deck, and tapped the back of a card and it turned over, Swan. I’ve encountered Swan before, and incidentally she is the only Spirit Guide in my menagerie that a shaman saw with me. The others have all come to me on their own whether through meditations or shamanic journeying. I was grateful for the reminder of Swan’s message, closed the app and went about my day applying that message to my activities. 

The next day, I opened the app, scrolled the deck randomly and tapped the card I was drawn to. Swan, again. Hmmm...

Maybe it’s something I truly need to focus on. Or, maybe this is the message I’m supposed to share here. 

Both, probably.

Swans are beautiful and graceful birds. 

Swan reminds us to look for the beauty and grace around us. Fair enough; not many of us stop to smell the flowers, watch the grace of birds in flight, or bask in the beauty of a full moon. 

Ugly duckling or cute cygnet?
Like the story The Ugly Duckling, Swan also reminds us of the beauty and grace within us as well, reminding us we are more than what we seem to be, even to ourselves. We often don’t give ourselves credit for the internal strength we have. How many difficult situations have we faced and survived, even if we were somewhat bruised in the process without stopping to reflect on the fact we made it? How often do we focus on our negative qualities, and not accept our positive ones? How often do we accept friendly criticism, yet find sincere compliments difficult or embarrassing?

Appearances can be, and often are, deceiving. Not only physical appearances of people, but the appearance of a place, or an experience can turn out differently than expected. How many times have the most tatted, pierced people been the kindest while the prim and properly groomed ones have been the rudest and the meanest? Or the tiniest, hole-in-the-wall restaurants have had the best food? I can think of a couple of stage productions everyone raved about that I found to be quite unimpressive. Therefore, Swan also reminds us of the beauty and grace within others as well.

In Celtic symbolism, Swan can receive the energies and messages from the Great Spirit due to their great wingspan. Thus, she also represents the connection to the Great Spirit, similar to Eagle in Native American symbolism, therefore representing spiritual awakening. Other associations with Swan are transformation (the Ugly Duckling, again) and monogamy as swans mate for life and are devoted partners.

Swan's message is indeed a powerful reminder of who we, and others, truly are. Both, inside and out. But, we just need to stop and appreciate that beauty and grace.

Especially, our own.


These swans were separated due to illness and susequently reunited, such swan sweetness!



No comments:

Post a Comment