Monday, March 19, 2018

Oracles

The Oracle at Delphi

As I have been navigating this Dark Night of the Soul these last few years, I’ve tried whatever I’ve needed to remain positive. Well, whatever that was legal and safe. Lately, I’ve turned to oracles to help reframe my thoughts and attitude.

No, I have not traveled to consult the Oracle at Delphi. Is she even still in business after all these centuries?

I have turned to something a bit more convenient and quite less expensive; oracle cards. Well, these aren’t exactly oracle cards in the typical sense in that they don’t foretell the future, but offer affirmations to focus on, or positive thoughts to reframe one’s thinking.

I have two decks that I have begun using; I’ve had Power Animal Oracle Cards by Stephen Farmer, Ph.D., as an app on my phone for many years (See, I said it was much less expensive than flying to Greece!). Over the years, through meditation and other experiences, I’ve met several animal spirit guides. I’ve researched their meanings and lessons and have found them to resonate very deeply with me. When I feel stuck, I often consult this app for an idea, a direction, or simply a thought for the day to focus on. Most of the time, it’s right on the money, other times I need to dig a bit, but find it is still useful advice.

I also believe in synchronicities. After my recent post, Take it or Leave It, I turned to the app for a card, and up came Moose, a card I can’t recall ever seeing before. The lesson behind Moose is “You know what is best for you. You are the authority of your own life.”  Wasn’t that the theme of that particular post? So, was this a confirmation? A few days later in the same week, I had an appointment to see my therapist where I had planned on sharing this card as it was a recent theme we’d been discussing, which in turn, had led to that post. While waiting, I pulled out the app again, and tapped on the "simple reading" icon. Moose randomly came up again, strengthening the earlier message and confirmation! And how synchronistic that I was about to share that particular card with my therapist! It all came full circle! 

(To be honest, I don’t know how the individual lessons came to be associated with that particular animal, but the message from Moose was certainly apropos and timely as I’d just written about it!)

The other deck I came across more recently is The Universe Has Your Back by Gabrielle Bernstein which I’d cited in my other recent post, Obstacles. I originally stumbled on a video of a talk Ms. Bernstein was giving which resonated with me. Unfortunately, I can’t locate that video even with all this technology at my fingertips. I saw this deck of cards in yet a different video, which raised my interest in the cards, and then subsequently in her book by the same name-which is now on my nightstand, and eventually led me to her website.


As I sense I am repeating topics lately, I may pull a card from one of the decks for my own affirmation and reframing, work with it, possibly write about it, and see where this leads me.

Blinderman Trail, Franklin Canyon Park




Both decks of cards are available on Amazon.com

For more information on Gabrielle Bernstein, click here.

For more information on Stephen Farmer, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment